Hello and Welcome to my A-Level Media Blog. My Name is Vivian Oparah [0621]. On this project, I have been in Group 5 and worked with Louis Caldwell [0131], Sebastian Hodge [0330] and Joshua Brooks [0110]. To navigate around my blog, you can click any of the headings under the 'Labels' subtitle on the side of the page - this will filter posts into the various stages of the project.
At the bottom of the page, there is a link which takes you to 'Older Posts' which can be clicked on as well.
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy my blog!

"NTLS - Heart Skipped A Beat" Music Video


Our Music Video

NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover

NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover
NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover

NTLS Website

NTLS Website
Right-click the image and select "Open link in new tab" as this will take you to the official NTLS site

Wednesday 9 October 2013

Sweded Homework

The term sweded refers to the, usually 4-6 minute recreation of a popular pop culture film made on a tight budget with a camcorder. Usually, these remakes are unedited with only a single take per scene therefore any additional audio (e.g. backing music) or credits must be added in during production.
The process is called sweding but upon completion, the film would have been 'sweded.' This idea of sweding originated from the film 'Be Kind, Rewind' when the character Jerry erases all the tapes in the store his friend Mike is looking after, forcing them to make quick remakes of all the films on a low budget. To make money faster, they claimed the tapes came from Sweden to use as an excuse to put up rental fees and allow longer wait times, later on during an argument between Jerry and a character Craig, Jerry fabricated the word "sweded," to describe the films.
Sweding can also link with film history as the remakes represent particular stand out memories that all audiences share and enjoy from films.


Two particular examples of sweded films I found on YouTube that I enjoyed were:


Twilight

The things I liked about this sweded film was the actors were committed to the roles and took it seriously which made it funnier. Also they used a variety of shots which made it interesting to watch and difficult things like the beheading at the end were still attempted without special effects and still looked quite convincing. This has inspired me to film the swede I will make in a accessible environment that we can take full advantage of with characters that have very distinct personality traits that can be heightened to make it funnier for the audience. 

The Dark Knight

This one is my favorite out of the two as it appears to be a true sweded film whereas the Twilight one added in backing music, this one maintained its own throughout. All the large pieces of scenery, makeup and props have been done themselves which keeps in with the low budget 'rule,' whilst still being an interesting 'well-made' swede. This has inspired me to do as much as I can with raw materials and not cut any corners in my groups swede to make it more authentic.

My idea for my group is a Sweded version of 'Mean Girls.' This is because it has countless memorable moments, it's funny and extremely well known and I think people will find it interesting to watch a Sweded version. Furthermore, similar to the Twilight swede above, its filmed in a school environment which will make it easy and achievable to recreate in school.


No comments:

Post a Comment