Hello and Welcome to my A-Level Media Blog. My Name is Vivian Oparah [0621]. On this project, I have been in Group 5 and worked with Louis Caldwell [0131], Sebastian Hodge [0330] and Joshua Brooks [0110]. To navigate around my blog, you can click any of the headings under the 'Labels' subtitle on the side of the page - this will filter posts into the various stages of the project.
At the bottom of the page, there is a link which takes you to 'Older Posts' which can be clicked on as well.
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy my blog!

"NTLS - Heart Skipped A Beat" Music Video


Our Music Video

NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover

NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover
NTLS Self-Titled Digipak Cover

NTLS Website

NTLS Website
Right-click the image and select "Open link in new tab" as this will take you to the official NTLS site

Tuesday 16 September 2014

Current Trends in Popular Music/Gaps In The Market/Genres of Interest

Trends in music transition into each other as the year go by and are interesting to watch similar aspects being incorporated across the years if a timeline was to be made. Since its such a broad topic I feel like its easy to look at trends amongst female and male artists.

Solo female artists are currently a lot more influential than they were a few years ago, and although its refreshing to see, I feel like there is a theme getting repeated by female artists that has become trendy, it is seen in the following video's (warning: explicit content) :


Although these videos can be seen as women embracing their sexual agency and being confident, I feel that its so overplayed and is an easy way to grab the attention of audiences; women (who are jealous or in admiration) or men (who enjoy looking at beautiful women) and therefore have a successful video. In my opinion, big female artists like Nicki Minaj, Beyonce and Katy Perry (and others who's video's aren't seen here like Rihanna, Iggy Azalea) could think of more creative interesting video's.


Perhaps this is why there is a clear favour at the moment for male singers/bands as they are dominating the charts - each artist is quite different in his own rite but still manages to make good quality music.
UK Top 10 Male Dominated Album Charts

I feel there is a clear gap in the market for a interesting quirky female artists who does something different

I have a very eclectic music taste and usually enjoy music from all genres however I rarely consume a lot of music from the genres in the charts. At the moment I'm particularly into Rap, Trip-Hop, Electronic, Drum and Bass, Post-Punk, Indie Rock and Neo-Soul. A lot of the music I listen to incorporates music from different genres and I'd be interested in choosing an artist who does similar

King Krule - A Lizard State
I like his music a lot and it falls under so many genres such as indie rock, punk jazz, jazz fusion, post-punk, hip-hop, darkwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment